MOST OF THE MATERIAL ASSEMBLED HERE HAS BEEN TAKEN FROM MY 80PLUS BLOG. THE ITEMS ARE NOT IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, SO IT IS ALL RATHER HAPHAZARD. I REALISE THAT MY MEMORY AT TIMES MIGHT NOT BE VERY RELIABLE.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

I THINK I WOULD be 8 and Rita 5 when we began piano lessons. Probably we weren’t particularly keen on the idea (I wanted a banjo) but all decisions affecting us children were made by our parents, and that was that!

Our teacher was Aunt Frances, the youngest of our mother’s siblings, and she had 12 letters after her name! Wow!!

The fact that she was a relation made no difference in her attitude towards us. We were her pupils and we were treated like all the others.

I remember the routine well. Our mother would take us to see Grandma Hardie who lived next door to Frances, and, when my lesson was due, I would go to Frances’ house, go into the hall, where I would change into carpet slippers, and then quietly slip into the big front room to wait till the previous pupil had finished.

I’m sure that in the early days we went along well prepared, for Mother used to sit with us while we did our compulsory half-hour practice every day. Later on however I sometimes went for my lesson, wishing that I had been a bit more industrious during the week.

-o0o-


My parents 1922/3. They married in 1924.

You’ll notice that my father has a cigarette in his hand. That wouldn’t go down well with his future in-laws!

I don’t remember him smoking cigarettes, but he certainly enjoyed his pipe. Sometime after he retired, he gave up the habit and replaced it with - polo
mints!!

My friend Adam smoked cigarettes, but he couldn’t enjoy them unless he sucked an Imperial sweet at the same time.

Of course very few folk thought that the habit was bad for their health. Indeed, some adverts claimed that particular brands were good for you. I seem to remember that Craven “A” used to recommend that you should smoke their cigarettes “for your throat’s sake.”

-o0o-

During my time at primary school two important national events took place, and on both occasions we were given a day’s holiday - the Silver Jubilee of the reign of George V and Queen Mary in 1935, and the Coronation of George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1937. I think it was on Coronation Day our school was taken to a local cinema for a special film show. I’m sure it was then that we were all given a commemorative mug decorated with the heads of the new Monarchs.

Of course the year between those two events had seen the abdication of the uncrowned Edward VIII, and everyone had been shocked when they learned that he had wanted to marry a divorced American woman Wallis Simpson. There was a lot of bad feeling against her, because in those days divorce was something that most folk disapproved of. I remember that children in the street used to run around shouting -

Who’s that walking down the street?
Mrs Simpson with big feet!

-o0o-

 
 Here I am with my parents and Rita

-o0o-

I REMEMBER Sunday September 3rd 1939, the day war was declared. We were getting ready to leave for church when the Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain was making the announcement on the wireless, and so it was not until later that we heard the news. I think my parents tried to conceal how worried they were, but for me and my friends, it was all very exciting and I began to take a real interest in news bulletins.

I REMEMBER that some years earlier a number boys of my own age were discussing patriotism and someone posed the question, “Would you die for your country?” I’ve got to report that I was the only one who said, “No.”

I REMEMBER that during the first months of the war plans were being made nationally to evacuate children to Canada if things got very bad. Some of my friends, with their parents’ permission of course, put forward their names. The scheme never materialised in our area, though there were cases of local children who went to Canada to stay with relatives.

I REMEMBER that the minister in our church (he had been awarded the Military Cross in the First World War) gave very upbeat sermons about fighting the Germans. My mother used to refer to his sermons as “war commentaries.” This was a reference to a series of inspiring wireless talks with the title “War Commentary.”

I REMEMBER that there were organisations available for boys of secondary school age - the Army Cadets and the Air Training Corps. My friend Andrew and I had joined the Cadets, had been issued with uniforms and were quite enjoying the drill, when our minister, who was Captain of the ATC, claimed that his organisation was much more suited to “boys of our class” and got us transferred!!!

I REMEMBER that we all had to carry our gas masks to school and occasionally we had to have a practice putting them on and off. Air raid precautions had included brick shelters built in the playground, and we regularly practised marching out of school to the shelters.

I REMEMBER that a good number of parents were Air Raid Wardens and a large number of volunteers were needed during the hours of darkness to “fire watch,” and to alert the authorities. Sometimes men who were unfit for the armed services were conscripted into the fire service and police force, and there were other who joined those services part-time.

I REMEMBER that when the war ended there were huge street parties all over the country. But not where we lived! I don’t recall any great celebration really - I think people hung flags from their windows and I believe there was a bonfire in a local park. Although many local people had lost their lives during the conflict, our town had got off lightly when compared to the big cities, and perhaps we preferred to celebrate quietly in the company of our own friends and family. 

-o0o-

No comments:

Post a Comment